We are pleased to let you know that the PHU podcast will be starting up again next week! I will be discussing vaccine hesitancy with Drs. Heidi Larson and Pauline Paterson who co-direct the Vaccine Confidence Project via London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (among many other cool things!).
It’s been a long time since the last podcast, but with good reason: on September 1st, I successfully defended my doctoral thesis in molecular microbiology & immunology. I also have completed two manuscripts for publication over the summer. Other great things I was up to:
- Got a job! Starting soon: associate at the International Vaccine Access Center on the Policy, Advocacy, and Communications Team! Learn more about IVAC on this podcast with my new boss Lois. Or listen to Bill “heartthrob” Moss here and here.
- Fellow, New York Academy of Sciences Science Alliance Leadership Training – July 2017. Five days of leadership training at the Academy. Met so many great people and learned so much about myself, how I function in group settings, and things to work on to become a better leader (and group member).
- Oral presentation, American Society for Microbiology Conference for Undergraduate Educators – gave a ‘microbrew’ talk on my scicomm course. Fantastic conference in Denver, Colorado with fellow educators interested in improving science teaching methodologies. I can’t wait for next year already! July 26-August 1.
- Completed Teaching As Research Fellowship: June 2017. Completed this yearlong fellowship that provided training and resources to research the effectiveness of my teaching methods in my course, “Communicating Science.” Presented on June 30 at Johns Hopkins University.
- Awarded Gordis Teaching Fellowship: Johns Hopkins School of Public Health teaching fellowship to design and teach a course to public health studies undergraduates at Johns Hopkins. Taught self-designed course “Communicating Science: Skills to Analyze and Communicate Science News”. Awarded for three semesters: Spring 2016, Fall 2016, Spring 2017.
- Instructor, Introduction to Biomedical Sciences, August 2017. Taught three classes as part of Dr. Gundula Bosch’s intensive summer course for incoming JHSPH graduate students. Sessions taught: Science Communication, Molecular Biology, Musculoskeletal System, Cardiovascular System. This was my fourth year co-teaching this course and always meet so many fantastic new students.
- Invited speaker, JHSPH Molecular Microbiology & Immunology Postdoc Forum. July 2017. Science Communication.
- Invited speaker, Mississippi State University, September 2017. The anti-vaccine movement.
- Completed Johns Hopkins Teaching Academy “Preparing Future Faculty” Certificate Program, Johns Hopkins University, September 2017. This certificate program provides training in teaching methods for Hopkins graduate students and postdocs. Check out here.